Tips To Prevent Recurrent Headaches!!
By Dr. Tariq Tramboo , Pain Management
Headaches occur when severe pain is felt on the head which causes dizziness, discomfort and restlessness. Headaches can be a symptom for many disorders and diseases. They can also be recurrent in nature (occurring several times).
Controlling and reducing the occurrence of recurrent headaches-
Headaches can be controlled or reduced by practicing certain basic preventive steps which are mentioned here:
- Avoid using excessive medication – Sometimes dependency on certain headache medications can cause acute headaches Instead of resolving them. Popping headache tablets too often can have several side effects on your health as well.
- Give your body ample rest – It is important to get adequate sleep. An adult requires seven to eight hours of sleep every day. You should at least try to get a solid 6 to 7 hours of sleep daily. It is best to sleep and wake up at a regular time every day.
- Avoid skipping meals – Sometimes skipping breakfast can cause severe dizziness resulting in recurrent headaches. Eat regularly and healthy meals every day at regular intervals. Limiting your caffeine consumption is also advisable if you have recurrent headaches.
- Exercise regularly – Practicing aerobic activity or outdoor sports can also keep you mentally fit resulting in the non-occurrence of headaches. It also keeps your body and mind fit.
- Reducing stress – Sometimes becoming over stressed can also lead to recurrent headaches. Meditation is a great way to keep your brain relaxed. Try meditating for at least 15 minutes daily even if it is spread across two sessions. Doing yoga on a daily basis is also beneficial for preventing recurrent headaches.
- Comfortable mattress – Recurrent headaches can also occur if you are unable to sleep peacefully at night. This might happen because of a hard and uncomfortable pillow or mattress. Try to sleep on a softer pillow to get a better quality of sleep.
- Drink water – Dehydration is also a major cause of headaches. You should Drink at least 8 to 9 glasses of water daily.
- Maintain a good posture – Sometimes, working long hours on the computer or laptop can inflict immense strain on your eyes resulting in headaches. Take your eyes away from the screen often to prevent eyestrain and to prevent recurrent headaches.